Image Map

Monday, January 23, 2012

Whoa..

...how do I begin?  Today, I was thinking about what I wanted to blog about.  But, I didn’t know how to write my first post after everything.  First, I must give my sincerest appreciation to everybody.  The emails that you sent me were so thoughtful and kind.  I cannot express how much your words impacted me.  I truly had no idea how much a letter, email, voicemail, or text could help me get through this time.  So, thank you so much!!!

Second, I’ve decided that this week I want to share some of the weekend recaps that I haven’t gotten to.  Why do you ask?  Well, in all of these instances, I was happy.  And this week, I would like to concentrate on all the fun and happy moments that I have been fortunate to have.

Sooooo to let’s begin with this weekend.  Derek’s parents came over to our house for the weekend (and little Zeus too!).  They haven’t been to our house since August so our house has changed A LOT since then!  It was so great to spend some time with them and also share some memories of my Dad with them.


Saturday, we went to Jungle Jim’s.  This is a 6 1/2-ACRE(!) international food market that is in Cincinnati.  It is the largest international market in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.  The market carries food from 75 different countries and also has one of the largest wine selections in the country!

Derek and I have wanted to go here ever since moving to Cincinnati so it was a great time to go and check it out!  We spent a couple hours shopping there and ended up with a plethora of items.  It is exciting to note that a second one will be opening soon near our house! 


One item that I did pick up was a couple of Stella glasses (my fav beer!) which I’m enjoying right now!  And see the beautiful pink tulips behind?  Derek’s mom brought me those beauties!



Saturday night we finally had the opportunity to take Derek’s parents to 20 Brix, a local wine bar.  This is one of our favorite restaurants and we have wanted to take his parents here for a long time!  Side note- anybody curious to know what a brix is?  It is the measure of sugar in a liquid; winemakers looks for a certain level of Brix before harvesting grapes!

The dinner was fantastic and we came home and watched the video that my sister-in-law put together of all the pictures of my Dad.  Seeing those pictures of him healthy sure does make me smile!


Sunday we checked out a new restaurant.  It’s called the School House Restaurant and it is an old school house from the 1800s.  I think it was built in 1864.  The menu is wrote on the original chalkboard!!  Definitely a cool and interesting restaurant!

And lastly, we headed to the mall to pick up some tea for Derek’s mom.  I have been trying to cut back on out soda and caffeine…so we decided to buy some tea for ourselves (non-caffeinated of course).   I’m not that big of a tea drinker, but I actually love my tea!!

Any suggestions on other drinks/juices that you've found that you love?!?!?


And as for tonight, Derek and I are planning a SUPER delizioso (see, practicing my italian!) meal that I’m so excited for.  We are grilling out some Kobe strip steaks that we got at the said market….yum!


And as for now, I’m just taking one-day-at-a-time…as suggested by many of you!  Thanks again for all the support!

Photobucket

15 comments:

Whitney @ justacountry-girl said...

katie! so glad to see you back in the blog world. i have been thinking about you almost every day and praying for you. and you're right...one day or even one hour at a time.

loved reading about some cincy spots Kev and I will have to try soon. They look super fun.

Kristen said...

Oh love, I've been thinking about you! So sorry to hear about your Dad, I can't even imagine. And it definitely is one day at a time, and it sounds like you're doing your best by that! It also sounds like you've got a wonderful support system. :)

That school house restaurant sounds like it was really cool! As far as tea goes, I'm pretty limited. I'll usually do green tea (decaf, for whatever reason the regular kind wires me like no other) or chamomile - really calming!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Hey friend. Glad to see you're hanging in there. Sometimes it's best to just to take things one day at a time. There will be good days and bad, but tomorrow is always a fresh start.

Thinking about you and your family!

Sarah said...

Glad you are back-been thinking of you!

We have been dying to go to 20 Brix! We went to Padrinos a few weekends ago and loved it!

Allison said...

Definitely been thinking about you and praying for you! It is so good to see you back. Taking one day or hour at a time is best. That school house rocks restaurant looks great!

Faith said...

i'm glad to see you're back. thinking of you and hoping that all is well.

Erin said...

Still thinking of you and sending prayers you and your family's way. Glad to see you felt up to blogging, it was nice to get an update from you.

I hope you enjoyed Jungle Jims. I grew up REALLY close to the one you went to, and the first time I took J (while we were dating) he thought it was THE coolest thing ever. It cracked me up to see how excited he was, when I took it for granted I guess. Looking forward to the one on the Eastside opening up though! :)

Mrs. Pancakes said...

It sounds like an awesome weekend! Glad your practicing your Italian....

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry to learn about your father's passing... My thoughts and prayers are with you! Stay strong .. I lost my father to cancer so if ever need to talk to someone .. I'm here!! Xo

Lauren said...

So glad that you are back..I have been thinking about you and praying for you :-) Great pictures,glad to see you are putting a smile on your face by keeping busy :-)

Mrs. H said...

So glad to see you back Katie! I think Jungle Jim's sounds like my kind of place!! Glad to see you are busy but enjoying time with family.

agalandherdog said...

Sounds like lots of fun!

Steph said...

So glad you're back my love! You were missed in blogland! So happy you are able to focus on the good things! Corey and I need to venture out more and try out new restaurants more often. Looks like you guys had a great weekend!

Jax said...

1. You had me at "one of the largest wine selections in the world."

2. The schoolhouse restaurant sounds awesome! Way quirky and fun!

3. Still sending so much love and prayers your way. One day at a time is exactly how you should take things. And trust me, that whole "don't cry b/c it's over, smile b/c it happened" quote definitely starts to apply after time. You'll find yourself thinking of him and laughing and smiling fondly instead of crying. And it's a nice feeling.

dave and jenn said...

Cincinnati must have some of the coolest restaurants ever. I'm jealous! And that market... wow.