Image Map

Friday, January 25, 2013

Under the Sea

Anybody else start singing Under the Sea from the Little Mermaid just then?  Me too!  Well, Derek and I went to the Newport Aquarium last weekend and had a super good time.  It has been about 3 years since we have been there.  And honestly, I feel like I’m becoming a little scaredy cat the more I get older.  I have this HUGE dislike/irrationalfear of snakes.  HUGE!  Anyway, unlike at the zoo where I know all the snakes would be together, at the aquarium I felt like the next tank I looked into, there could be a snake.  So, basically I had the heebley jeebleys the entire time.  BUT, I still enjoyed myself!  Especially once we got to the stinkin cute penguins!


DSC_1346e


DSC_1351e


DSC_1355e



DSC_1372e


DSC_1385e


DSC_1392eThis is Mighty Mike (wouldn’t that be amazing if it was Magic Mike?!).  He is an American alligator and is over 14feet long!!!  Funny story, we were watching the crocodiles and one started to move (like a centimeter) and then all of the sudden it sneezed.  I literally jumped and screamed…out loud.  You know when you are intensely watching something and then it moves and you’re not expecting it and it scares you….yeah, that’s what happened.  And not to mention, I was still on edge from being around the “snakes.”  Derek was very embarrassed concerned for me.



DSC_1390e

 
DSC_1396e


DSC_1399e


DSC_1411e


DSC_1414e


DSC_1418e

So, I know it looks like I took a picture of everything there…but I promise you, this is a hot-second compared to everything that is there!  While Derek probably enjoyed it a lot more than me (he’s in to this kind of stuff and has had/wants an aquarium for our house), I sure enjoyed practicing taking pictures with the camera!

Hope you have a great weekend!

post signature

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photos, especially the last one of that cute penguin!

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

I haven't been to an aquarium in so long - your pictures make me want to go back! I love the little seahorse and the penguin. So cute!

Anne said...

Thank you for assuring me I'm not alone... pretty much everything at aquariums gives me the heebie jeebies. But penguins are a different story - so cute. I would just skip straight to that part :)

Staci said...

Ahhh alligators freak me out! I mean hello...they are basically smaller dinosaurs. Nooo thank you!

Letters from a Mermaid said...

i am actually a mermaid, i am convinced. anyone who has read my blog for any period of time knows. that being said, i have great love for you for writing this post! have a wonderful weekend :D

Jen said...

Love the photos...esp the penguin. I too hate the snakes and swear they are going to come through the glass and get me..ha! Hope you have a great weekend!!

Kathrin@shopschoolsleep said...

I love Penguins!! I am terrified of sharks and run through the bubble tank where sharks swim above because of that one scene from Jaws #1000 they filmed in Sea World...but I love Aquariums too

Angela - RoseTinted Lenses said...

Ok after I realised it was not a post about Ariel I should have stopped reading as I am PETRIFIED of sharks even that little one here made me shut my eyes and scroll really quickly!!! Gorgeous pictures well apart from that scary one!!! Xx

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

These pictures made my day!

Laura Darling said...

I love aquariums! And you got some great photos!

Jax said...

Ohmygosh I have a crazy fear of snakes, too! In St. Lucia, I saw an eel and was totally intrigued. Eric and I were the only ones snorkeling and I pointed it out to him. He looked at me with intense eyes and was motioned for me to get back. Apparently I was hovering over a very toxic snake, not an eel. AND... I was so terrified that night in our room that we had to switch rooms to a bungalow farther up the way away from the water. I'm not joking. I don't ever admit that.. haha!

Sarah said...

Fun!! I love the penguins there!

And look at you over 300!! Whoooo!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos, you're a great photographer! Glad you had such a wonderful weekend xo

love jenny xoxo said...

i love the zoo to practice my photo skills :) And our zoo has cute penguins too and my dad works there so he keeps telling me i can feed them sometime... still waiting on that though!!

{love jenny xoxo}

Jamie said...

Looks like a great day!

Katie said...

Looked like so much fun! I wish our Aquarium was as good as yours...

Life's a shoe said...

fabulous pictures! I absolutely love aquariums!

Ashley said...

You can find me on the opposite side of the room as Mighty Mike! Slightly scary...ha

Mrs. Monica said...

I didn't even go there when I lived there. Dang!