Image Map

Monday, August 12, 2013

Working in the Nursery & Recipe

Hello there Monday!  How was everybody’s weekend?  Derek was working all weekend so I knew I wanted to spend majority of my time in the nursery.  I washed all the little lady’s clothes, put them away/hung them up, organized drawers, etc. etc.  Not too much left to do in the room!  I’m so excited to do an unveiling of the room for all of you!

I had dinner on the table for when Derek got home from work last night….I tried a new dessert recipe that has been in my queue forever and wanted to share with all of you!

Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter Frosting

Oh my, these are delicious!  I was so excited when we finally had some ripe bananas.  Usually we go through these suckers before they become ripe enough for things like banana bread.  I knew once we had 3 or 4 available, I wanted to make this recipe.  It is pretty dense (I think I would bake it in a deeper pan next time) but seriously delicious.  Enjoy!


Original Recipe from here

Ingredients
    Banana Bread Bars:
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ¾ cups (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional) Browned Butter Frosting:
  • ½ cup butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
  • about 3 tablespoons milk or half and half
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Grease and flour 10x15 jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper (for thicker bars use a 9x13 pan).
  3. Beat first four ingredients until creamy.
  4. Blend in bananas and vanilla for one minute.
  5. Add dry ingredients and blend for one minute.
  6. Stir in nuts and spread in pan.
  7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
  8. Cool slighty until warm but not hot and frost with Browned Butter Frosting (recipe below).
  9. For the Browned Butter Frosting: Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat past the melting point until it is boiling and a delicate brown.
  10. Remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining ingredients.
  11. This should be thicker than a glaze and thinner than frosting.
  12. Using a spatula smooth over the top immediately.
  13. The frosting will be easier to spread once it's on the warm bread.

Oh, PS- I have my glucose test this week so please wish me luck!


post signature

13 comments:

Allison said...

I can't wait to see your nursery!! :) And those banana bars look amazing! Yum.

Courtney said...

I can't wait to see what you have done in the nursery!

Erin @ Happily Obsessed said...

OH I must make these this week!! Can't wait to see the nursery!!

Jamie Hart said...

Awww.. working in the nursery is so much fun! I was thinking about you yesterday so I'm glad that you posted today. The recipe sounds delish but I'm going to stick to cupcakes because I know it's the one thing that I cannot destroy. I found a really cool blog yesterday that you might like with awesome yummy stuff on it-- I'll email it to you! Give yourself some belly rubs for me!

Faith said...

Yum! Looks delicious!

I'm so excited to see the little lady's room!

Good luck on your test!

Anne said...

Yay, can't wait to see the nursery! I seriously need to spend time organizing (and building that dang dresser) - we're away for the week again, and when we get back, I have only 9 weeks to due date. AHHHHH.

Unknown said...

The dessert sounds so yummy! i may have to make it for the husband...let's be honest I SAY it's for the Husband but the dessert is really for me haha! Can't wait to see the nursery =)

Kait said...

Dane LOVES banana bread and it's one of the items on the approved list for Afghanistan, so I just may make this and ship it over. Thanks for sharing! I wonder if the frosting would keep in a separate container for shipping? Hmm..I'll keep you updated :)

Angela said...

uh yum!!

Jen said...

I love banana bread, and those bars look like cake which is even better! I'll have to try this recipe soon! And I can't wait to see how your nursery turns out!

Katrin said...

I am sure the nursery looks fantastic!
I have to "veganize" that recipe, it looks delicious!

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh YUM. I think I have that pinned.

Good luck with your glucose test!

Unknown said...

Oh yummy- this looks awesome!