Image Map

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How to Dress a Bump

First, let me just say that I’m not the most stylish pregnant lady out there.  Nor, do I consider myself an expert, by any means, on how to dress a baby bump.  But, I had some requests to put together a post of how I am using my current wardrobe and what pieces I have purchased during this pregnancy.  I am more than happy to share. 

So, I guess we start at the basics.  I needed to plan for work & fun when thinking about adding pieces to my closet.  See, at work, I have to dress very conservatively.  I’m talking about a suite, closed toe shoes, and knee highs (yes, I know….).  Anyway, I knew I wasn’t going to purchase any maternity suits, so I wanted something I could incorporate into my work and everyday attire.  Also, staying affordable and cheap were key to me.  I used to think of how exciting it would be to buy a whole new wardrobe when I got pregnant.  As soon as I got pregnant, my mindset totally changed and I wanted to purchase as little as possible for me because there were all these things I wanted for our new child!

First, I would highly suggest looking at what you have in your own closet.  Especially the first 6 months.  Any longer top or dress could take you through your first two trimesters.  Obviously, I was dressing this bump during the warmer months, so it could be different if you are doing the same thing during the winter.  Next, I purchased the basics when it came to tops and bottoms.

Maternity Clothes 1

1) Long cardigans.  I stocked up on mine from the clearance section at Old Navy.  These were great to replace my suit jackets on most days and also when I needed some extra length.  Extra bonus- can wear afterwards!

2) Long Tank Tops. These are from Target and are $12.99.  I really wish I had them in every single color.  But, I purchased white and black.  During the warmer months, these were great to wear by themselves.  Also, any regular top that is getting too short, just throw one of these underneath.  Extra bonus- can wear afterwards!

3) Long T-Shirts.  These are also from Target and are only $9.99.  These were perfect for the whole pregnancy…up until now.  Honestly, because they do not have the ruching, they are getting a little short.  However, I will definitely make them last the whole time.  They are perfect for wearing under the suit jacket with a statement necklace, with jeans, or for lounging.  I have 3 of them!  Extra bonus- can wear afterwards!


Maternity Clothes 2

First suggestion when it comes to bottoms, buy maternity asap.  I waited too long to buy them and was uncomfortable for a while.  Even though I wasn’t showing, my {everything} was expanding.  I did the whole hair tie trick for a while, which was fine, but honestly, maternity pants fit so much better!  I didn’t try the band, but some people have good luck with that.  Second suggestion is to buy what you normally wear.  Seems like a no brainer, right?  Well, I found some major steals & deals at my local gap and clearance store gap over the summer. 

Things like (1) jean shorts (most affordable and best I found was at Old Navy), (2) work pants (gap clearance center), and (3) jeans (love H&M fit) were what I bought.  And again, if you wear skinny jeans normally, buy yourself skinny maternity jeans.  I felt so much better when I was dressed like I “normally” would.

For everything else, I shopped at my favorite stores and sized up one.  This worked for a lot of tops and dresses.  All the dresses I wore for my showers/special occasions (here, here, and here) were from either The Limited or Kohls, just a little bigger.

These are the things I’ve found that have worked well throughout pregnancy.  Now that I have a serious baby bump to contend with, things are a little bit different.  I’m trying not to buy anything else since there is only about 6 weeks left.  I’ve added a couple of long sleeved shirts and hoping my winter clothes can help with the transition!

Let me know if you have any questions!


11 comments:

Megan O. said...

Great suggestions and great finds! I am really struggling with the whole dressing the bump thing when it comes to winter clothing. I can tell ya right now that I really have hardly any sweaters that are going to work, but I am thankful I have many cardigans. The set back seems to be pants. Definitely need and want to have some pant options for the cold months but don't want to buy a ton of them! I just hit up H&M and ordered a pair...we'll see how it goes =/

Jaclyn Y said...

I should bookmark this for the future, I know when I get pregnant dressing myself will be an ordeal...it already is!

xxx
Jaclyn
Http://www.loveandbellinis.com

Jamie Hart said...

This is a GREAT post! I love Old Navy's Maternity stuff! And just a tip.. if you sign up for their emails, you get all kinds of coupons for in store sales and online sales. I'm always get emails for 30% off on clothing and every couple months they are having HUGE sales on baby clothes :)

Unknown said...

So glad you posted this! I'm going to have to check out some of your suggestions! We just found out we are expecting, which is why I asked you to post something like this - I love all your outfits!

Erin @ Happily Obsessed said...

I am sooo happy that most of my pregnancy was during the summer! Maxi dresses are a life saver!! I worn nothing but dresses and skirts for months. I did break and buy some maternity jeans from Target. Like you, I bought a lot of "normal" clothes a size bigger but I have also invested in maternity ones as well Old Navy is hands down my fave!!

Helene in Between said...

love these ideas!! i think you dress so cute- with or without a bump!

Jamie Sefcik || Hello Little Scout said...

Your bump is too cute!! Target has some great maternity wear!!

Unknown said...

Love this. You're so cute, I think you've had great maternity style!

Allison said...

You are just always fashionable bump or not. :)

Anne said...

Excellent advice - totally with you on the buy what you normally would thing. It's easier said than done (I can't figure out WHO they're making some of this crazy maternity stuff for), but it definitely helps! And you've had the cutest shower outfits - they definitely looked you.

I would also add to take a look at what you really, actually wear in your regular wardrobe - it turns out I usually repeat/remix a few current favorites with my regular wardrobe, and that's what I did with maternity wardrobe too, so that's all I really ended up needing to get - there were certain parts of the pregnancy that I had way more stuff than I actually wore. Plus, buying ahead, while it worked out great in some cases, didn't work out super awesome in some because I wasn't ever quite as big as I expected - UNTIL NOW. And now leggings and dresses are the only answer...

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing...58eveningdress.