Image Map

Monday, September 23, 2013

Weekend Recap & Recipe

Well, fall is officially here.  And the weather this weekend definitely showed that….I’m not mad about it.

Friday, Derek and I went to Cincinnati’s Oktoberfest.  If you remember, this is something we try and go to every year.  Even though I could not participate in the bratwursts or beers, I was really looking forward to this!  Derek and I always have such a good time.  Well, this year Mother Nature decided to rain all night.  And when I say rain, I mean POUR!  We didn’t bring an umbrella and got completely soaked.  COMPLETELY! 

Because of the rain, I didn’t get many pictures.  However, Derek managed to snag a photo of our dessert right before we left…funnel cake.  I mean, who doesn’t love funnel cakes?!

photo 12

Even though it rained, it will definitely be the most memorable Okotberfest for us.  The streets were pretty much dead due to the rain so we had our pick of every food we could want, no lines, and ability to sit and listen to all the German music.  We didn’t care that we were soaking wet :)


Saturday morning, I spent getting our house ready for fall.  Honestly, I should have enlisted Derek in carrying everything up from the basement for me (he was working Saturday).  I understand when they say “breathing for two” because man, those trips up and down the stairs got me good!  Anyway, I was thinking the entire time that when I would be putting these things away, we would have a little girl at home!!!  So exciting.

photo 9

A new addition this year is the “thankful” burlap banner I ordered from the Etsy shop funkyshique.  I just love the orange polka dots for Halloween and the glittered thankful for Thanksgiving.  I can keep this bad boy up for a while!

photo 10

Added my Holiday Apothecary Jars to the island.

photo 11

And decorated our outside with the Ohio State pumpkin, polka dot pumpkin, and glittered Boo topiary.

Saturday evening, we had our first installment of dinner club!  2 other couples, including Sarah and her husband, and Derek & I have decided that once a month we would take turns hosting a dinner club.  This month, the meal was at Emily’s house.  We had a delicious Italian meal.  Can’t wait to keep this going!


Now, I completely forgot to post this recipe last week, but I have a super fabulous and easy dessert for you!


No Bake Key Lime Cheesecakes (recipe adapted from Delish)
Ingredients:
Crust
  • 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 4 tablespoons (unsalted) butter, melted
Filling
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cups (bottled) key lime or regular lime juice
  • 1 container (8-oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • lime slices and/or lime zest, for garnish, optional
Directions
  1. Line 12 cupcake cups with foil liners. Stir graham cracker crumbs (I would use food processor to get the crumbs very fine) and melted butter together in a bowl to combine. Spoon 1 Tbsp. of the mixture into each liner, pressing it down to make the crust.
  2. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until creamy, about 30 seconds. Add the condensed milk and lime juice, and blend on medium speed until just combined, 20 to 30 seconds. Add 1 cup of the whipped topping and lime zest and blend on low speed for 15 seconds longer.
  3. Spoon mixture evenly into liners. Cover pan with plastic and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving; peel off liners and dollop 1 Tbsp. remaining whipped topping on each cake. Garnish with lime slices, if you like.
Try it!  It is pretty much amazing.  Such a refreshing dessert!



Hope you had a great weekend!

17 comments:

Anne said...

A dinner club is such a fun idea! And go you putting up decorations... I might manage a pot of mums from Kroger but I don't know about anything else this year. Too busy making baby projects :) Love the banner you found though! So cute.

Katrin said...

Your decoration looks fantastic! And I love the Dinner Club idea!

Becky said...

Peter and I really want to try and find an Octoberfest here! Being a German major, he loves to find any excuse to speak german :) I love your halloween decorations! I'm so excited for this time of year!

Courtney said...

I love that banner on the mantle, perfect transition for every holiday in the fall.

According to Jax said...

Your house is sooo cute!! Love the banner! :)

Ericka said...

Super cute fall decorations! Makes me want to start crafting some cute stuff for our house too :)

Lauren said...

Your fall decorations are awesome, love the mantle and banner :-)

Angela said...

Love all your decorations! Your dinner club sounds like so much fun, I would love to have one with my friends!

Angie said...

I so need to get some Fall Decorations up. I just can't get motivated to do it! Yours look fantastic.

Dinner Club sounds like so much fun!

Kristen said...

Love the dinner club idea, so fun!

Unknown said...

Your house looks so cute!!! And man that funnel cake looks good. Where did you get that little silhouette of your cute pup made? I love it!!

Erin LFF said...

We have talked about starting a dinner club, now I'm convinced we need to! :)

Pegster said...

Oktober fest sounds like so much fun. We lived in Germany for 3 years and never missed a beer festival. I wish it didn't rain so much for you guys though.

What a fun idea to do couples dinner dates with your friend. It's the best way to make sure you see your friends often considering how busy we all get sometimes.

Lovelyladyjb said...

Love the way you added some fall decor to the home, I am needing to do this now too!

I am also expecting my first baby girl come January. I cannot wait, I'm beyond excited! Its fun to find other mommy to be's on the blogosphere :)

Kristin said...

Loving your fall decorations!!

Faith said...

I am obsessed with funnel cake.

I completely gasped when you said that when you put your decor away baby girl will be here! So exciting!!

That recipe looks amazing!

Jen said...

I love all of your Fall decor, and especially love that Thankful banner and the Thankful picture on your mantle. May I ask where you got the picture? It's super cute :)