Image Map

Monday, July 7, 2014

A Healthier Me

As I mentioned last week, I completed my first ever cleanse.  Many of you wanted some more details, so I thought I would do a post all about it!

First, let me give you some background.  I've never been a healthy eater.  Don't get me wrong, I really love salads and fruit/veggies.  I would normally order salads at lunch (yes, I'm a Chipotle salad eater) and try to snack on an apple/banana or yogurt.  So, I feel like I was good there.  BUT, my husband and I eat out...a lot!  I never started eating out regularly until I got married (looking at you Derek!).  I grew up in a house where ordering pizza was a complete treat and would happen maybe once a month.  Thus, eating at home was the regular for me during the week.  Because I would see Derek on the weekends during college, I would splurge and we would eat out for most meals during the weekend.  ANYWAY, ever since we have been married (almost 5 years), Derek and I would eat out 4-5 a week...I'm cringing even writing that.  It wasn't like I was eating McDonald's hamburgers and fries 4x/week.  I would try and get a Panera salad or if I had Chick-fill-a, I would get their fruit cup rather than fries.  I was trying to make healthier choices...honestly, getting pregnant jump started those choices.  The "healthiest" I've ever eaten was the 9 months I was pregnant.  And we've always been fortunate in the fact that our food choices didn't affect our weight.  Derek and I have always been skinny and we never had to work out or eat healthy to keep that physique.  That being said, skinny doesn't equate to healthy.

I knew we were going to have to change our diet/habits at some point.  I wasn't going to be taking my daughter to fast food every week.  I knew I wanted to have home cooked meals (which is something Derek and I love to do) on the table for her!  So, I needed a jump start.  I set a deadline, and for me, that was when I was done breastfeeding.  As soon as that happened, I started working out to try and jump start my new outlook.  I didn't change my eating habits, because hey, I was already down to my pre-pregnancy weight and I wasn't doing it to lose weight, but rather to feel healthier.  If anybody knows me, they know that didn't last long.  I'm not a worker outer...or a runner.  So that fizzled out just as fast as I thought it would.  Even though it felt good to be working on myself, I didn't see any other changes.

So, I thought I would do a cleanse.  I've always wanted to do a cleanse.  I'm the type of person that is up for trying anything.  After doing research, I knew I needed something that came in a "pack."  I couldn't do a system that would allow me to cheat..because believe me, I would.  Enter the a cleanse!  My only expectation from this system is I would cleanse my body, give it a good restart, and hopefully, kick start my healthy eating habits.  If you don't read anything else, just know it did just that and more!  Surprisingly, I lost 7.4 pounds!!

I was super excited to start but nervous at the same time because, hey if you couldn't see from above, I love food!  I wake up in the morning and think about what I'm going to eat that day.

Basically, there are two deep cleanse days in the beginning where you are detoxifying the body while pumping your body full of nutrients.  Then the next five days are followed by shake days and you finish up with two more deep cleanse days.

Day 1: I was so shocked that I wasn't hungry.  However, I was missing the act of eating.  I was in a lunch meeting that day and everybody was eating around me...that was a true test of willpower right there!  I didn't feel hungry, just weak. I was expecting a headache but bypassed that because I think my body wasn't going through caffeine withdrawal since I stopped drinking caffeine 3 years ago.

Day 2: Much much easier than day 1.  I could not believe that I was functioning without eating an actual meal.  I had no problem going about my day.  As suggested, it was very important to try and stay as busy as possible on these days.  Helps keep your mind off of food!  I even took Charlie for a 35 minute walk that night.

Day 3: I was ready for some food!  I made my shakes at work...big mistake!  If you ever do this cleanse, definitely use a blender.  The "shaken" version of the shake was an awful texture.  We went out for dinner on a date night and I ordered a side salad with salmon.  Instead of the potato, I opted for two veggies.  I cherished every single bite that night lol.

Day 4: I used the blender for my shakes and OMG this made a world of difference.  They were so delicious

Days 5-7: This was when I started feeling amazing!  I was so excited with how I was feeling and that I was keeping with it.

Days 8-9: This is so weird...I was actually excited for the final two deep cleanse days.  I couldn't believe myself.  I was pumped and ready!

Honestly, on day 9 I was a little sad my cleanse was over.  I kinda of wished I did the 30 day cleanse because I knew I could make healthier decisions while doing this program...I wanted to make the healthier decisions.  BUT, it was good to get out in reality.

Here are the benefits I received:
-Goodbye 7.4 pounds
-I'm not sure if I felt more "energy", but I felt wayyyy more rested.  I didn't blink an eye when my alarm went off and I didn't feel the need to take any naps the entire 9 days (even on cleanse days!)
-I felt good about what I was putting in my body.  On my regular shake days, I was so thoughtful what meals I made or ordered.  I've never thought twice about it!
-Stronger nails....this is a weird one, I know.  I have the worst nails ever.  Even being on prenatal vitamins, they still weren't good.  However, by day 5, my nails were the longest they've ever been.

WHEW, that was one long post.  Basically, I'm so happy that I did this cleanse.  It was perfect for me!  I'm hoping to continue this healthier me journey!  I'll keep you updated ;)  If you have any questions or want to do a cleanse, let me know!



17 comments:

Kait said...

You're right, skinny doesn't mean healthy! In order to be healthy you need to eat right AND work out. It's taken me a very long time to realize this

According to Jax said...

Okay I need more info on this!!! 7 pounds, did you even have 7 pounds to loose??? And what did the shakes taste like??? Were they gritty?

Helene in Between said...

this is so awesome! I love your perspective. i want to look into this cleanse!

Allison said...

Definitely remembering this for postbaby. We eat out quite a bit too and like you I look forward to every meal I'm going to eat. Haha. I've always wanted to do a cleanse though so I'm so glad you shared this! Go girl! :)

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

I'm also interested in the taste/flavor of the shakes! Were they green/vegetable shakes, or were they yummy flavors? I've never done a cleanse...kinda thought about it, but have never taken the leap. Now is certainly not the time!

Becky said...

You're so right that skinny doesn't mean healthy! Some of us are lucky to not put on weight easily but that doesn't mean we're always eating healthy :P. I've definitely looked into having better food these past few years even though cookies will always call my name. I'm glad the cleanse went so well and hope your journey on the healthy train continues to get better! :)

Anne said...

Very interesting! Glad you thought it was successful for you - that's great to hear. I'm happy with my weight (actually, probably shouldn't lose any...) so I've always thought this type of thing isn't for me - but jumpstarting healthier habits and feeling rested sure does sound good. I think I make pretty healthy choices, but I probably don't eat enough variety to really be healthy and should be adding more and different kinds of fruits/veggies to my diet. Probably something to think more about as I'm busy making super healthy baby food for Henk, ha :)

Ericka said...

Thanks for sharing all the details on your cleanse! It makes me much more excited to try this out!

Jax said...

Girl, you are speaking my language in this post. I've never really had to worry about weight, but I dont eat well. I dont pile on the nachos or anything but Eric and I eat out...a lot. And lately, I've noticed it's catching up a little bit more than it ever used to. Maybe it's getting older or maybe it's commuting to work and not getting as much sleep or something. I dunno. But I've thought about a cleanse and have heard mixed things. Your post might have taken me over the hump. I dont know if I have that much willpower (you go girl) but I think I'll try! I have a work trip next week and a vacation the following week so I might shoot for early August! (B/c going to work dinners with leadership and not eating would be weird..haha..and well...vacation.. yeah.. I wouldn't make it). Thanks for the info!! I'll let you know if I try it!

Faith said...

I really want to do a cleanse but kinda nervous about it, lol. Sean and I eat out on the weekends, mostly either Friday or Saturday because I love to cook and control what we eat during the week. At my house growing up, pizza was also considered a treat and we only got it once a month if that. I still know that I need to work on my eating habits because when I want something, I want it and there's no telling me no :)

Glad you had such a great experience!

Jordon said...

LOVE THIS. I want to do a cleanse. I am like you. I'm not big by any means, but I want a healthier kickstart!

Looking into this now!!

Courtney said...

Ok, I'm going to echo other people, did you really have 7 pounds to lose?!
I'm very similar to you, I work out and try to stay active but I've always been naturally thin and my diet could use A LOT of work. How did you find someone to order the cleanse from?

Courtney said...

Oh and did Derek do it with you? I don't know if I have the willpower to go 9 days unless Jeremy was on board with it too.

Kate said...

WOOHOO!!! You did SO great and totally rocked it out! I remember you telling me that you were skeptical, yet intruiged... and look at you now? Feeling healthier and better rested -- both of which help to make you a better wife and mommy!! LOVE how many people you're inspiring by sharing your story.... keep sharing, keep inspiring! Isagenix totally works! Shoot, I just lost 16 lbs on it!!!!

Erin LFF said...

I'm so glad you shared this! :) Jared and I ate out SO much the first couple years we were married and unlike you-- it caught up to me, ha! ;) I'm getting back on track and tryyyyying so hard to put more healthy things into my body, but its tough! I'm always craving the bad stuff still it seems!

Pegster said...

Wow, 7lbs loss, that's amazing. Your are right tho, skinnier definitely does not equate to healthier. YAY for cleansing and opting for a healthier lifestyle.

I have been on a healthy kick lately too. I started by adding a fruit smoothie to my diet every morning. They are so filling and tasty and an awesome start to my day. Slowly but surely I plan to add more healthier options to the day.

Thanks for sharing this, definitely encouraging. I love that we are on the same course when it comes to healthier eating habits, I am definitely going to take notes :).

Mrs. Pancakes said...

I'm all about detoxifying every so often...we are not conscious of all the stuff our bodies store on a daily basis...thanks for being inspiring!! Here's to a health wrk you!!!