Image Map

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Banana Bread Cupcakes

Ok, real quick, before I get to the recipe, I have a couple of random thoughts for you:
  1. I had a big mac AND an Oreo Mcflurry from McDonald's today!!  Ok, so maybe I had the big mac WRAP and the snack sized mcflurry, which is like 2 hot bites….anyway, it was glorious!!
  2. Ahh, can Real Housewives of New Jersey & New York be any more boring…blah
  3. Lastly, I REALLY need a good book suggestion if anybody has one!

Ok, now on to the recipe…….


Ok, first, let me tell you, I did not make these.  However, they were at Derek’s family get together and they were ahhhh-mazing!

Seriously so good!

The recipe is from Down home with the Neely’s.  They were more banana-bready…than just banana cupcakes.  Try them; you will be impressed!

You can find the original recipe here. 


Gina’s Banana Cupcakes

Ingredients

Batter:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (reserve some for garnish)
Molasses Frosting:
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 to 3 cups powdered sugar

Directions

Batter:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1 (12-cup) muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add the butter and the sugar. Beat with a hand-held mixer until combined. Add the sour cream and the vanilla extract. Slowly beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Incorporate the dry mixture and wet mixtures together until thoroughly combined. Add the bananas and walnuts, being careful not to over mix.
 Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner 3/4 way full. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops turn golden-brown and when a toothpick, inserted in the middle of the cupcake, comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the oven to a wire rack and let cool before frosting.

Frosting:
In a large bowl, add the butter and cream cheese. Beat together until incorporated. Add the molasses and mix well. Stir in the vanilla extract, milk and powdered sugar.

Heavily frost the cupcakes and garnish with reserved chopped walnuts.




post signature

10 comments:

Jax said...

Ohmygosh these sound and look SO AMAZING! I love banana bread so putting it in a cupcake sounds like absolute perfection! I am book marking this post for when I'm feeling productive enough in the kitchen to give it a shot!

Michaela said...

Oh my...these sound so good. I LOVE banana bread...but as cupcakes?! Even BETTER :)

Mrs. Pancakes said...

I can have this for breakfast! So yummy!

Allison said...

I love anything banana so these are on my must try list! And I'm reading Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson and I haven't been able to put it down!

the girl in the red shoes said...

Yum! These look amazing! I'm so hungry now!

Lauren said...

Those look so delicious!

Kara said...

Yummo!

Here is a great book! http://shawnkaraandheidi.blogspot.com/2012/07/book-review-secret-life-of-bees-by-sue.html

Leah @ Everyday Love said...

I was searching for a banana recipe to make last night, wish I would have seen this one. YUM!

Couldn't agree more about housewives, I'm over it. Except, Jersey, I still enjoy that one.

DId you watch beverly hills nannies?

henning love said...

these look so so good!! i need to remember this for the times my husband doesn't eat all the bananas

Katrin said...

Yummy! I love cupcakes!
Do you like crime novels? If yes, I recommend any book of Henning Mankell or Hakan Nesser!