Image Map

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Derek's Top 10

Hell-o there, this is Derek, aka Mr. marriedwithapup. I was invited by my beautiful wife to provide a guest post today, which also happens to be 10 years to the day that we started dating.

We have come a long ways since I first asked Katie to “be my girlfriend” back in high school, and in recognition of our 10 years together I wanted to share the top 10 things I’ve learned about having a successful relationship.


1. Never go to sleep mad at each other


Senior Pictures



2. I don’t think relationships have to be 50/50. It’s all about finding that point of equilibrium through open communication.


Katie's 21st Birthday



3. Don’t fight when both intoxicated.


Our One Year Dating Anniversary.  We went to the Olive Garden.  I was a big spender.



4. Occasional surprises are welcomed (this is a work in progress on my end)


Engagement



5. Even though it’s assumed that a married couple loves each other, it is still important to remind one another how much you love each other.


2005 right after Katie graduated from High School


6. The woman is always right. And I’m not saying this sarcastically, but because it’s usually true. Somehow it seems every woman has a certain degree of photographic memory when it comes to remember details about how the guy screwed up.


2008



7. It’s important to be straightforward and honest with each other during serious conversations.


See, being silly is our thing



8. But you don’t always have to be serious! We have our best times together when we are being carefree and goofy.


One Year of Marriage



9. The in-laws may sometimes seem off their rocker, but they are (probably) an important part of your spouse’s life and should be treated as such.

Engagement Pictures



10. As you can tell, most of these are associated with keeping the Mrs. as happy as possible. Happy wife equals happy life is so true. Not just for the sake of family dynamics, but also because there is nothing more fulfilling that seeing my wife’s beautiful smile and feeling her love.

One of our first pictures together.  Hard to believe that was back in 03



Thanks dear for letting me spill my guts. I’ve been dying to guest post since you started this bad boy up ;)



Thanks Derek for guest posting. This is his first time so make sure you leave him some love! I hope you all have a great Valentine's!



post signature

33 comments:

Becky said...

Awww this was really sweet! Happy 10 years of dating :)

Jen said...

How sweet is he!! You both look so cute together and I enjoyed seeing all of the pics. Happy dating anniversary and happy valentines day!!

Lauren said...

Love seeing the flashback photos! What a great love story

Faith said...

i absolutely LOVE this! Derek great post ... now come back again! :)

happy dating anniversary!

i love that we share the same dating anniversary too :).

enjoy today!

Kate said...

1) The picture from YOUR 21st birthday totally looks like he was celebrating as if it were HIS 21st, haha!!

2) Did you get engaged in high school missy?!!

3) The in laws thing! Oh man... how true this is!! I actually have to write my mil an e-mail today b/c my husband told me I hurt her feelings. Ugh! She's SO sensitive and over reacts to the most minor of situations, but to keep the peace, off I go to apologize. In laws.......

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, this post is too cute!!! I don't think my husband would EVER guest post on my blog!
I loved looking through all of your pictures together, 10 years is a big deal!

Staci said...

Haha aw this is so sweet! I love all the pictures!

Sarah said...

Awww I love this!! Great job Derek!! Happy dating anniversary you two!! We shall toast you this weekend!!

Marie said...

This is so sweet and really great advice!

Kristen said...

Awww! Lol If I asked Ryan to do something like this, he'd probably question my sanity. ;)

Allison said...

So sweet! Love all of the pictures!!

Kristin said...

Ya'll are too cute!!

Katrin said...

Thanks for the great post, Derek! I also enjoyed seeing all your great pictures! Happy anniversary!

the girl in the red shoes said...

OMG, cutest post ever!!! Katie, you are one lucky girl!!!

Lia Joy said...

In love with this post! And you guys are so cute! Love the high school photos :)

Ericka said...

So awesome that he did a guest post for you! And super sweet :)

Erin said...

Sooooo precious :) Good job, Derek! And congrats on 10 whole years together- that is seriously amazing! You guys are adorable together, what a great couple!!!

And Katie- I know this is so creepy weird of me, but you have always looked so familiar to me. Like from the beginning of finding your blog, but now even more so after seeing your old school pics!!

Leah @ Everyday Love said...

Love this! My Derek would have probably written many of the same things, especially #6 and #9.

Megan O. said...

This is really great! Love getting his side, and I love the fact most of lessons learned are centered around a happy wife! That's my kinda guy ;P Congrats on 10 years!!! That's AWESOME!

Kathrin@shopschoolsleep said...

aww how cute!! you two haven't changed a bit!! love the old pics :)

Jena Roach said...

He willingly admitted that you're always right? Dang, girl. Teach me your ways!!

Jenna said...

Awe, this is too cute! I love all of these and they are definitely true! And I second Recently Roached lol... that is pretty amazing!!

Lauren said...

This is so adorable love all the old pics :-)

Helene said...

OMG y'all are literally the cutest couple ever. stop it.

dave and jenn said...

Great job, Derek! Can you please share #6 with my husband? :) haha

Emily said...

Great post! I love the throwback pics! Senior pics together = adorable!

Angela - RoseTinted Lenses said...

This is lovely!!!
We have the same dating anniversary too :)
Happy 10years to you both and here's to many more!!

Xx

Natalie said...

awww this is an adorable post and you are so pretty!

www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

brittany @ g squared said...

Best advice!!

Justina McNear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justina McNear said...

I just followed your blog today after seeing your post on Julie's Blog and I love your blog! This is such a cute post. I have been with my highschool sweetheart now too for 8 years. Time sure does fly by fast!

You can check my blog out at justinawho.blogspot.com

Mrs. Monica said...

Derek I will make sure Steven's read this. Love the post and the pictures of you guys.

Jamie Hart said...

I need to somehow figure out how to get my fiance to read this ;)

ugottahavehart.blogspot.com