Image Map

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Habits of Happy People

I saw an article the other day of the secrets to being happy and it sparked my interest.  I consider myself a pretty happy person.  In fact, I’m happy go-lucky most of the time…maybe annoyingly so to some.  However, I don’t think it is a negative thing.  In fact, I’m thankful this is a trait I’ve inherited.  Now don’t get me wrong, I have my bad days and bitch sessions with my husband and friends, but that’s normal.  Right?  Right!

So, I got to thinking, what are the habits of happy people.  What can we practice in order to keep ourselves in a positive mood?  Because we all know, practice makes perfect.  Here are the things I can think of:

-Appreciate the small things in life.  This one is a huge thing for me.  I get sooooo excited for the smallest things.  Getting mail, winning a blog giveaway, eating a yummy home-cook meal that was prepared by my husband, getting Chick-fil-A for lunch, etc. etc.  All these things get me in a giddy mood and feel happy!  Even though they may be small, I try to appreciate even the smallest things every day!

-Talk through any issues you have and then let it go!  So, this one is a bit harder for me to follow.  BUT, the one thing I do like to do, is talk about my problems.  I’ve been know to beat the issue wayyy after it’s dead (just ask my husband).  This just really helps me move past whatever problems I’m having and forget.

-Positive thinking.  I feel like being an optimist can only ever work out in your favor.  Plus, positive thinking (in my opinion) is contagious so you can get everybody else on board.

-Plan for everything but be up for anything.  I’m a planner, that’s no secret.  I over-plan and that may be an understatement.  However, I feel like experiencing some unexpected is one of the best things ever!  Derek is always up for anything and that’s one thing I love about him. 

-Surround yourself with other happy people.  This one is probably easier said than done.  Just as positive thinking is contagious, negative thoughts can also infect your brain!

-Make fun of yourself.  So with this point, what I really mean, is laugh…a lot!  A way that I do this is to not take myself so seriously.  If you could peak inside our house, you would see Derek and I dancing around/belting out lyrics randomly, making ridiculous noises to see how bad we can annoy each other, and other silly things.  These episodes always make me laugh.

So, that’s all I’ve got.  What do you think are the habits of happy people?


post signature

17 comments:

Audra said...

This is an awesome list! My two big ones are to surround yourself with happy people, and talk things out and let them go - this is truly why I believe I can consider myself "happy" 99.9% of the time :)

Margaret said...

Oh I'm definitely one to beat an issue to death. Sometimes too much...but I would rather talk it out then not. Also- I'm a huge supporter of being able to make fun of yourself.

Unknown said...

I'm probably an above-average happy person too. I totally agree with your assessments on how to be happy too :) I do all of these except the talking about my problems one. I'm HORRIBLE at talking about problems. I think I've always felt like I'd be judged, so I pretty much literally never get really into them. My husband is like you though, he will talk & talk & talk about the same issue. I don't really get it, but whatever works!

Jordon said...

I'm so glad you included eating chick-fila for lunch in your "enjoying the small things". That always makes me one happy lady! Great post!

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the small things is something that sounds like a cliche, but so many people forget to do it. It can make a big difference.

jamiedawn said...

i agree with appreciating the small things. it does sound sort of cliche but its sooo important. there will always be things out there in life that you can't obtain right away (or maybe ever) so be grateful and happy for what you do have.

Kristen said...

I agree, especially with the little things and surrounding yourself with other people.

Anonymous said...

I think celebrating the small things in life is the best thing someone can do for their happiness! Why focus on all the little things that go wrong.. it's way easier to celebrate all the little things that are going right in your life!

Faith said...

I 100% agree with everything you said!

I'm also guilty of beating an issue way after it's dead but then once I'm done, I'm done. It just takes a little longer than some people, haha.

Seriously? Why don't you live across the street?

Jenna said...

What a great post!!! These are good reminders. Sometimes at work the girls would get to talking about people or complaining and i remember getting sucked in even without thinking about it. Surrounding yourself with positive people is a definite must!

and that Chick Fil A is just so good! You can't have a bad day with waffle fries :)

Angie said...

Good Tips! I think my biggest problem is setting my expectations to high. I have a plan of how things should and when they don't go perfectly I get frustrated. I'm trying to do better though and just fly by the seat of my pants more!

Allison said...

Love this list. Enjoying the small things (being thankful for what you have) and not holding grudges are key to being happy. :) Oh and this post made me happy too.

Katrin said...

Great post! I agree to all of them! Small things always make me really excited. Seeing a cute animal, getting a new nail polish, the smell of rain, anything. I think it is very important to appreciate the little things that happen on a daily basis.

Xlovehappyx said...

positive thinking and a happy environment are big keys, i think.

i have to keep my attitude in check and make sure i love the negative people from a distance

Pegster said...

I am totally a happy person in a total glass half full kind of a way. I so agree with all these. No one needs negativity in their lives, positivity all the way

Unknown said...

I really love this!

According to Jax said...

Love this post!!! It makes me think I should really get rid of my "complains about everything" type of friends.