Image Map

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chicago Jaunt

Jaunt [jawnt, jahnt]
Noun: 1. a short journey, especially one taken for pleasure.
 
Jaunt…yes, that is exactly what we did over the weekend!  We made a quick trip to Chicago for fun.  Derek had some vacation days, so we left on Thursday.  Everybody needs a little four-day weekend in their lives.  Although the weather was less than beautiful, we enjoyed our time eating as much food as humanly possible and shopping as much as Derek could endure.  Oh yeah, was it ever a success!
 
IMG_0419eWe had to start with our most favorite pizza ever, Lou Malnati’s.  Yum-o, is it delicious!  After filling our bellies with some deep dish pizza, we headed on out to Michigan Avenue and State Street for some shopping.

IMG_0421e
 Later that night, we had reservations at RPM Italian…Giuliana and Bill’s restaurant.  To say I was excited to try this place out would be an understatement.  Secretly I was really hoping they would be there and I could become best friends with G. 


IMG_0422e
After dinner, we stopped in Howl at the Moon to be entertained by a few great piano players.  In addition to piano, these artists played drums, guitar, violin, and probably a whole lot more.  Definitely a talented group of musicians!

IMG_0424e
Crazy enough, we found out that the Cincinnati Reds were playing the Chicago Cubs the same time we were there!!  Of course, we had to go.  We had seen Wrigley Field before when my friend Emily used to live right by it, but we had never been to a game there.  So, ignoring the cold and rainy weather, we tailgated with the best of them.

Game Collage

Wanting to warm up after the game, we went to Eno, a (get this) wine, cheese, and chocolate bar.  Yes, the best thing ever invented.  Seriously, I want to start one up in Cincinnati…it was heaven!

IMG_0434e

IMG_0435e

IMG_0436e
Our wine, cheese, and chocolate flight.  It was very nice because with each flight, a card accompanied the type of wine, cheese, etc.  That way if you found a favorite, you were able to take the card home with you so you knew what to order at your wine shop or specialty store.  LOVE this concept!

Friday night, by recommendation of Courtney, we went to the Signature Room at the 95th floor of the John Hancock for dinner.  Unfortunately, it was pretty cloudy.  BUT, the experience was romantic and the food was delicious!
IMG_0440e

IMG_0445e
After grabbing a large bag of Garrett Popcorn, we hit the road.  Until next time, Chicago!!


post signature

18 comments:

Carly Hilinski-Rosick said...

I had to come and comment because the picture of the Lou Malnati's was making my mouth water! Lou's and Giordano's are my favorite Chicago pizzas. If only I could have them on a regular basis :(

Shelley said...

my husband and I tried to get reservations for RPM when we when to Chicago in Nov for our anniversary, but we couldn't :( I'm hoping we'll be able to try it this summer when we go for a wedding, although the wine cheese and chocolate bar sounds delish also! Sounds like an excellent weekend!

Katrin said...

I am so glad that you had a great time! I really want to visit Chicago too someday! Thanks for sharing the great pictures!

According to Jax said...

Sounds like the perfect jaunt!! :)

Allison said...

I think I could live at a wine, chocloate and cheese bar. YUM! Adding that to my list of places to go next time I visit Chicago!! What a fun little jaunt!

Courtney said...

I wish I had know about Eno when we went, that place seems right up my alley! I'm bummed you didn't have great weather for the John Hancock but it looks like you two still had a great time together!

Becky said...

Hahaha love the use of jaunt here! What a fun weekend! My brother lives in Chicago and I'm really hoping I can visit him soon! How was the food at RPM?!! I am pretty convinced if G and I met we could be really great friends :P Have you seen her True Hollywood story?! So good!

Sarah said...

So we are starting that wine, chocolate and cheese bar when?!

I love the Signature room, such cool views!

Jordon said...

What a fun little weekend getaway and I am LOVING that blazer!!!

Unknown said...

Wow- this all looks like a blast! How was RPM Italian?? I am such a Giuliana and Bill fan!!

Unknown said...

And you had me at wine + cheese + chocolate. :)

Margaret said...

Was definitely a good Chicago weekend :) Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Steph G said...

So funny. We just got back recently from a 4 day weekend to Chicago and ate at Lou Malnati's too. I got to go to Wrigley for my first time and loved every second.

Jill J. said...

How fun! We are going in July so this is awesome for recommendations! It might be hard to get my husband to try a new pizza place though...he is a big Giradanos fan!

Glad you had a fun trip!

Jill
Classy with a Kick

Faith said...

Looks like such a great time! You just got me so excited. I know a few things I'll have to do when we go in August :)

You are gorgeous!

Angie said...

What a fun quick trip! Wish Hubby and I could do something like that. It's just hard for us to get any time with three kids!

Anne said...

Such an excellent jaunt! We did the same a couple weekends ago to visit my sister, and really it was pretty much all about the food then too. We've never eaten at the Hancock but have gone up to the lounge for a drink, and it's so worth it for the view! Excellent romantic date night idea.

Life by Liz said...

Love love love Chicago! Definitely the best city in the US in my opinion, but I may be a little biased since I grew up an hour away :) I am so jealous that you had Lou Malnati's AND Garrett's!! I am studying abroad in New Zealand this semester and I would kill for just one piece of deep dish pizza!! I am trying to trick my boyfriend into driving straight from the airport to Giordano's when I come back home!