Image Map

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Thoughts about This Pregnancy

So, I’m very well aware that every single pregnancy is different for every woman…even for the same lady who has been pregnant multiple times.  It’s just never the same and you cannot have any expectations for the way things are supposed to go.  That being said, I thought I would jot down a few of my thoughts on this/my first pregnancy…

Blogging- well lets start with the easiest one…as you probably have noticed, my blogging has been much more sporadic since announcing my pregnancy.  Absolutely no reason for this except everything else just seems so insignificant.  I sit down to write a blog post about, let’s say fashion, and my mind cannot go on writing about something that is so far from what is on my mind at the moment.  Ever since getting pregnant, that is pretty much all I think about.  Therefore, I cannot write about anything else it seems.

Food- I REALLY wanted to have those cravings that you hear about.  Mainly so I could send Derek out for Taco Bell at 1am…BUT, nothing has really transpired to where I was like I want this right now!  In the beginning, it was a challenge because nothing sounded good.  We really couldn’t decide on what we were having to eat that night until about 5:00 or 6:00pm, basically until I was ready to eat!  Besides that, it has been pretty same-old same-old

Anxiety- I feel like I have had more anxiety while pregnant.  Not so much anxiety around having this baby, but rather anxiety in general.  These statements are very true for the beginning of the pregnancy.  Now….I have less than normal anxious thoughts.  For example, we were at Home Depot waiting for some paint and nobody was helping us.  Derek even went to the customer service desk twice to request help.  After waiting over 30 minutes, Derek asked to speak to a manager.  Basically, he was fuming.  Me, I was calm as a cucumber.  I don’t know, but I’m feeling so much more laid back these days.  With regards to having a baby, my confidence has increased and the feelings of “we have no idea what we are doing” have decreased.  I felt so overwhelmed in the beginning with all the information out there, but now I’m feeling prepared as I’m ever going to be and ready to do this!

Energy- Wow, energy is really a hit or miss in this pregnancy.  In the beginning, there was absolutely no energy available.  In fact, I have no idea how people are pregnant when they already have a child/children…where in the world do they get that energy to continue daily life?  The middle, mind blowing energy levels.  More energy than pre-pregnancy.  I had the motivation to get things done and keep working until 11:00pm.  Nowadays, I will go 2 or 3 days with great energy and then have a day or so where I feel very blah and completely run down.  I’m expecting the energy levels to keep decreasing with every new week.

Dressing the Bump- I would like to go back in time and smack myself in the face with this category.  I honestly thought I would have this adorable little bump to dress, wear my regular clothes, and just have an expanding belly.  Boy was I EVER wrong!  First, I didn’t start showing at all until 23 weeks.  About 6 months was when I finally hit the, hey you’re pregnant, mark.  Up until this point, it wasn’t like I was still frolicking around in my regular clothes.  Nope, I was growing…just not in my mid-section.  I hear this is typical for women having little girls.  I just felt so caught in a in-between stage it wasn’t funny!  Next time, I’m not going to have any expectations and just roll with it.

Emotions- First, let me say that I’m not an emotional person normally…like, at all.  In fact, pre-pregnancy I probably only cried once a year, maybe.  I just didn’t do it.  I’m positive I’ve cried more this pregnancy than I have my whole life in total.  It is so strange for me to be so emotional.  I just don’t know what to do with myself.  The first time I laughed at myself for crying was when I was watching Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.  It was the episode where Lisa and Ken were renewing their vows.  I started crying and then started realizing that I was crying and then proceeded to laugh at myself because I was crying!  Seriously, I have never cried watching a show before.  Crazy train right here!  I’m looking forward to getting those tears back in check!

Movement- Ahhh the movement.  Seriously, one of the biggest milestones to look forward to when being pregnant.  It is so funny because the little flutters, kicks, or however else they explain it, are sooooooo not movement.  For me, feeling actual movement didn’t happen until later.  Then, once I felt it, it was one of the weirdest feelings I’ve ever been so lucky to feel.  I was very weirded out in the beginning.  Now, I look forward to it and it is a sense of comfort knowing everything is ok in there.  Plus, after seeing her moving in the 3D/4D ultrasound and knowing what she is doing in there, it is even better!

Well, this turned in to quite possibly the longest post ever.  If you are still with me, thanks for reading my thoughts!  It was kind of fun listing these details out!



 

17 comments:

Jamie Hart said...

Aww Katie! I just want to hug you! I completely understand where you are coming from. I was only able to "feel pregnant" (just recently) for a couple of days and it literally CONSUMED me. Everything second of my day and night, even my dreams. I would wake up in the middle of the night and I would be holding my stomach and I was only 5 weeks. I love that you are sharing your thoughts and feelings with us! Especially since I always look forward to your posts! If you don't feel like posting about fashion-- don't! Post about the little one because your followers, that just adore you, will ADORE that growing love that you have and will enjoy sharing these moments with you! Belly rubs! XOXO

Erin @ Happily Obsessed said...

LOVE this post!!! I am with you on so many levels!! For me the bump came way before I ever expected it too, but maybe it is true if your having a girl you don't grow for a while.

I feel like I am going to loose my readers that aren't Mommy's to be or current Mommy's but that is all I want to talk about!! LOL!! It's such a special time in our lives and I think we should talk about it 24/7 if we want to! :)

Katrin said...

You are so cute, Katie! I can totally understand that you have other things in your mind than blogging! :) I do love to read about your pregnancy though! :)

Kate said...

Every single thing you've blogged about is pretty much exactly what I had blogged about in my pregnancy. Lol! I knew we'd be good friends in real life ;)

I'm not going to lie, I titally loved dressing the bump the last 10 weeks of pregnancy. But my thighs expanded so much that I'm having the hardest time losing that weight. My thighs touch so much in the middle that the rubbing hurts. Ugh! So worth it, but so sucky at the same time. Hahaha!!

Lets see more photos of that bump and your gorgeous face! Blog away about pregnancy sista!! Us chicks love reading about it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing all of this. I loved reading through it!

Unknown said...

The energy definitely is a hit and miss. I was fine in the first trimester and then the second one, where most people have more energy, kicked my butt. I was a slug for the second one.

Everyone is so different, it's so fun to read everyone's different thoughts on pregnancy. But yes, so much isn't quite what you thought it would be. Just wait until that baby is here and in your arms.

Then there is new anxiety over whether or not you're doing things right and whether or not you can protect her from everything. But it's the best job in the world!

Jordon said...

I love reading this! I bet you can't wait for that little lady to make her debut. PS is it weird that I am no way ready to be pregnant, but I am already dreaming of things to send Tyler after?? haha

Megan O. said...

I like this and was actually thinking about writing something about my insights on pregnancy (so far) lol. I think there is so much that no one really prepares you for and maybe it's because they can't because it doesn't happen to everyone. I feel some of you one some of these while others I haven't experienced in general or yet (like movement). However, I'm getting bigger and I'm pretty sure I've started to feel the fluttering that everyone mentions. I can't wait for the big movements though :) Hope you had a great weekend!

Erin LFF said...

I love it! I always love your blog, no matter what you're writing about :)

Sarah said...

Sooooo.... LOVE that I found your blog. I'm married to a Derek as well! Only 10 weeks left right? So excited and following your blog now just so I can see baby pics!! Anyway, I know Brutus is pure, but if you have any friends with mutts, I'm giving away a Doggie DNA kit right now that's pretty fab so feel free to let them know!

Current giveaway: A dog DNA kit! Our Journey Giveaway!

Faith said...

this made me smile!

Pegster said...

Katie, I just love your attitude towards pregnancy. We are so similar. You are just embracing everything with the most positive attitude. Love it.

I think even if the pregnancies will be different, it is definitely a good idea to jot down your feelings today. It will be fun to read them when you are pregnant with a 2nd or a 3rd or a 4th (hehehehehe, I just gave you 4 kids what up)

When I was pregnant with my 1st, I also wondered how people handled pregnancy with children. As I sit here pregnant with my 3rd, I am asking myself the same question. I guess, you get a crazy strength you never even knew you had. You are still tired but somehow you make it through the day.

Sorry about the longest comment ever, I got carried away. I just love pregnancy related things :)

Kristen said...

Aw I love this post!

With that said, I seriously also hope to crave weird cravings. I want to milk it for all that it's worth with Ryan running out to get me something. ;)
Though I already know I'll get my way cause even now if I cry over something, he immediately does what he can to fix it. haha

Allison said...

I always wonder about the cravings...too bad you didn't crave something crazy. Haha. And even if all you blogged about was being pregnant I would still love reading. :)

dave and jenn said...

This was a trip down memory lane for me, because I had such similar experiences!

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

This post is fantastic and I felt the exact same when I was pregnant. No energy at the beginning and crying more than I have in my life. Its such a roller coaster, but such a fun one. Can't wait to read more about your journey.

Anne said...

I loved reading this - and it makes me think I should write down some of my thoughts! I always meant to, but then time is just flying by... It's funny how a lot of pregnancy isn't exactly what I expected - no late night cravings here either, and the belly growth/energy levels have never been quite what I expected for each trimester either. And it's also funny to me how at almost 35 weeks I still have moments where I think, "huh, I'm actually doing this pregnancy thing!" Still kind of surreal...